REFLECTOR: Top door strake dents

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:38:05 EST

-------------------------------1067539085

I remember talking about this years ago, before completing my strakes. The
focus then was how to make the top skin stronger, rather than how to keep the
foam underneath from compressing, which now seems to have been revealed as the
actual problem. If we had recognized this back then, it would have been a
relatively simple matter to remove the inner skin and foam next to the door, and
treat the area exactly as is done where the strakes attach to the spar.

Routing out the foam in the problem area, as has been suggested, seems like
the only solution at this point that will pretty much eliminate the possibility
of dents. I suppose if I did that now, I could remove the dents I already
have as well, except that my painter put them on both sides.

I'm also considering some kind of paint design that isn't so glossy in the
problem area, so as to make the dents less obvious. I'm not sure I want to use
the wing walk material though, even though I was seriously considering that at
first, because it seems like I do a lot of intentional sliding, especially
when getting out.

What to do, what to do?

Doug Hayes
Boulder, CO

-------------------------------1067539085

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>I remember talking about this years ago, before completing my strakes.=20=
The focus then was how to make the top skin stronger, rather than how to kee=
p the foam underneath from compressing, which now seems to have been reveale=
d as the actual problem. If we had recognized this back then, it would have=20=
been a relatively simple matter to remove the inner skin and foam next to th=
e door, and treat the area exactly as is done where the strakes attach to th=
e spar.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Routing out the foam in the problem area, as&nbsp;has been suggested,&n=
bsp;seems like the only solution at this point that will pretty much elimina=
te the possibility of dents. I suppose if I did that now, I could remove the=
 dents I already have as well, except that my painter put them on both sides=
.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm also considering some kind of paint design that isn't so glossy in=20=
the problem area, so as to make the dents less obvious. I'm not sure I want=20=
to use the wing walk material though,&nbsp;even though I was seriously consi=
dering that at first, because it seems like I do a lot of intentional slidin=
g, especially when getting out.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What to do, what to do?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>