REFLECTOR: Top door strake dents

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:20:57 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C39E41.044B1C40

I don't think John Kiss is currently on the Reflector, but I recall him =
being kind of bummed out that the strakes on his top-door Velocity =
developed lots of divots during the first year or so of flying.  He =
attributed it to soft spots in the molded strake skins.  I don't think =
there is any magic solution; they just have to be filled, sanded and =
re-painted.

Keith Hallsten, XLFG - fabricating top NACA scoops.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: DOHAYES@aol.com=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 7:27 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Top door strake dents

  Does anyone out there with a top door model, who didn't think ahead =
and reinforce the tops of the strakes near the door, have dents from =
climbing in and out? I just got my airplane back from the painter, =
complete with dents on both sides where he climbed around doing his =
final polishing. He said he'd fix them, but I know from past experience =
that while he'll do a great job, it could take a year. I'm wondering now =
if the wait will be worth it if they are inevitable. I know I'll be =
careful, but what about everyone else? Anyone have them and cover them =
up somehow? Anyone?

  Doug Hayes
  Boulder, CO
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C39E41.044B1C40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
#ffffff"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I don't think John Kiss is currently on the Reflector, but I recall =
him=20
being kind of bummed out that the&nbsp;strakes on his top-door Velocity=20
developed lots of divots during the first year or so of flying.&nbsp; He =

attributed it to soft spots in the molded strake skins.&nbsp; I don't =
think=20
there is any magic solution; they just have to be filled, sanded and=20
re-painted.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Keith Hallsten, XLFG&nbsp;- fabricating top NACA scoops.</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DDOHAYES@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:DOHAYES@aol.com">DOHAYES@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, October 29, =
2003 7:27=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR: Top door =
strake=20
  dents</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Does anyone out there&nbsp;with a top door model, who didn't =
think ahead=20
  and reinforce the tops of the strakes near the door, have dents from =
climbing=20
  in and out? I just got my airplane back from the painter, complete =
with dents=20
  on both sides where he climbed around doing his final polishing. He =
said he'd=20
  fix them, but I know&nbsp;from past experience that while he'll do a =
great=20
  job, it could take a year.&nbsp;I'm wondering now if the wait will be =
worth=20
  it&nbsp;if they are inevitable. I know I'll be careful, but what about =

  everyone else? Anyone have them and cover them up somehow? =
Anyone?</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Doug Hayes</DIV>
  <DIV>Boulder, CO</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C39E41.044B1C40--