REFLECTOR:Oil temps and heating

Dave Nelson reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:23:47 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_02A4_01C399AB.F20C8530

I'm fairly new to the reflector,  so I apologise if this subject has =
been covered before.  I guess I'd be a bit surprised if it hadn't...

I've just passed 600 hours on my STD-RG, which I built.  I live in =
Minnesota, and winters are long up here, so I always search for good =
projects to upgrade my aircraft over those long winter months.  Last =
winter I decided to clean up the lower cowl in order to improve speed & =
performance.... you see, my hangar mate is a beautiful Cozy 3 place.  =
With his 150 horses, he's close (way too close) to keeping up with me in =
my IO-360 powered, 200 HP velocity RG.  It's always a race when we go =
flying...

My plan was to do drag reduction to the lower cowl by reworking the =
armpit scoops I use for cooling air and eliminating the induction air =
scoop.  My airplane's been flying for quite awhile now, so I'm sure you =
guys and the factory have come up with 50 better solutions than what use =
to have... which was the factory standard scoops mounted on the cowl, =
and separate "inner" scoops that were mounted to the sides of the =
fuselage and ducted cooling air to the plenum.  I orignally made the =
inner/outer scoop combination to make it easy to remove the lower cowl =
without having to muck with anything.  It worked well, but there was =
quite a gap required between the inner fuselage mounted scoops and the =
cowling. =20

I figured I could reduce the total scoop size by about 25% and improve =
cooling in the process by getting rid of the gap.  Cooling would be =
improved given that high pressure air was leaking into the lower engine =
area through the gap... by tightening up the outer scoop I would =
actually increase the differential pressure between the plenum and the =
lower engine area, and also reduce overall drag.  At least that was the =
theory.  So, I reworked the whole system - I made smaller armpit scoops =
that are mounted to the fuselage, and reformed the cowl to fit tight =
against the new scoops.  I faired the new scoops into the cowl so that =
the airflow stays attached as long as possible.  Additionally, I made a =
small plenum that provides both engine induction air and cooling air =
from the right hand armpit scoop, thereby eliminating the drag from the =
separate induction air scoop. =20

Results from all this work are very mixed... my speed didn't increase at =
all despite the drag reductions.  You may laugh at my stupidity on this, =
but I neglected the fact that by not separating the air in the new small =
cooling/induction air plenum, I lost the ram air effect on the induction =
air side.  I lost about 1.5 inches of maximum manifold pressure because =
I didn't separate the induction air from the cooling air on the right =
scoop.  Alas, a project for this winter.  The real problem, though, has =
been that with this new setup, my oil temps have become very difficult =
to manage. =20

>From a cooling perspective, I've got the standard nose mounted oil =
cooler and cabin heat system.  Before the modification, my oil temps =
rarely got up to 100 C (212 F), and my CHTs were all around 350 F +/- 25 =
degrees. Now, in a climb I can easily heat the oil to redline (242 F) if =
I'm not careful.  After much thought and work, it appears that the =
leakage air that was slipping between the inner and outer armpit scoops =
and pressurizing the lower cowl also had a cooling effect on the =
accessory case, oil sump, and the oil temperature transducer.  =
Tightening up the cowl, eliminating the "blow by". Reducing the size of =
the armpit scoops did not change the CHTs, but because I lost the =
airflow over the bottom engine and accessory case, my oil temps are now =
a problem. =20

So, here are two questions for the reflector crowd:

1) How much, if any, cooling air is required for the accessory case and =
oil sump?  It's logical that you'd want some, but, OTOH any air down =
there reduces the differential pressure from the plenum / top of the =
engine to the bottom... thereby potentially increasing CHTs.  Thoughts?  =
BTW, just to get the discussion going, I discussed this extensively with =
the Lycoming rep at OSH, who told me that he didn't think I needed any =
airflow over the sump/accessory case...

2) My cabin heat box is the original, and I've always been unhappy with =
the push/pull cable for the babin heat flapper valve.  Anyone put in a =
electrically actuated flapper valve?

To anyone who's acutally read this far... THANKS!

Dave
600+ hours STD-RG N22DN

  ----- Original Message -----=20