REFLECTOR:Wiring

Rene Dugas reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:35:59 -0500

My DAR inspector specifically asked if I used aviation approved Teflon
wire.  Could be a lot of work to RE wire if fails airworthiness exam.
That persons opinion might not be swayed even by good arguments.
Rene'

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 8:28 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Wiring

I am going to jump in here and perhaps create a stink.  But, it is not
absolutely required that you use Teflon coated wire.  This issue came up
while back when someone observed that Grand Rapids Tech does not supply
TFE
wire with their EIS.  Greg at GRT (I think) provided some pretty good
information about the PVC vs. Teflon wire issue.  Both will emit toxic
gases
when burned.  Yes the TFE is better but not totally safe. TFE is tougher
than PVC.  As Jim suggests, use Teflon whenever you can, but it is not
absolutely required.  There's a lot of other toxic plastic in your
Velocity - avionics, air vents, AND the airframe!!!

Ronnie Brown