REFLECTOR:Heating

Brett Ferrell reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:34:23 -0400

John,

You could probably do that, the issue is how do you get get the ducting all
set up?  I wasn't clear if you wanted to maintain the "stock"
NACA-cooler-Dump system, but assuming you do there's not a lot of room to
bring in the bilge air and a selection flapper into the NACA, and then you
have the same issue coming out, I think you'd want a flapper to select to
dump overboard or send air to the oil line conduit.  However if someone
comes up with a clever way to do that, it would be nice for guys with the
RGs.

The factory system is nice and simple, and the ducting quickly gets
complicated anyway you go if you want finer temperature control.  I really
hate the way the Cessna heaters work, where you get either 400 degree air or
NONE, which is why I went with the mixer.  But that causes me to have a T in
the fresh air line (cool air to the mixing valve and up to another T to feed
the 2 panel-mounted eyeball vents), then I have a T in the hot air line to
the mixer (one from the standard naca system, one from the recirc fan
system).  I think I'll really like the functionality of the system, but it
does look a bit rat's-nesty in there....

Brett

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech@dixie-net.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Heating

> I like the bilge fan idea.  It can double as additional (better) cooling
during taxi on hot days.  Would it be possible to eliminate the second oil
cooler by running the bilge air through the oil line duct with an outlet
vent near the back of the cabin?  On warm days my rear pilot side passengers
feel heat from
> the duct as is.
>
> John
>
> Brett Ferrell wrote:
>
> > Craig,
> >
> > I'm going a similar route, installing seat heaters and a mixer valve to
get the air temperature I want, but am not have 2 zones.  I was wondering,
did you use the mixer from Spruce or make your own?

> > Also, after feedback from a flying Velocity, I'm installing a bilge fan
so I can heat (through a second oil cooler) recirculated cabin air instead
of bringing (potentially subzero) outside air in.  And since I've got an FG,
I'm going to use the keel as a heating duct for the backseats to get some
hot air.....