REFLECTOR:Door Switch Placement

Jim Agnew reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

My tried and true method is to mount the door switch behind
the front side door pin tube.  I took a piece of nylon rod
about 3/8" in diameter and chucked it in my drill press.  I
then used a file to turn the rod down to a slip fit in the
tube with a mushroom shaped head.  This "transfer rod" then
pushes the switch and the mushroom head keeps it from
falling out of the tube.  You could use a plastic rod if
you like.

It solves a number of problems, the "transfer rod" won't
swell with moisture, water and dirt are far less likely to
accumulate in the tube or fall into the switch, and the
front door trim covers the switch and the wires.

Jim

--- Wayne Lanza <wlanza@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>   The best, tried & true method for mounting the door
> switches is under
> the rear pin
> on the bottom of each door. Situate the micro switch such
> that there is
> about an inch
> of distance from the switch lever to the end of the
> locking pin with
> the door latched.
> Next take a piece of wooden dowel (or something very
> light) and cut it
> to length so
> that it is long enough to depress the switch lever when
> the  door is
> latched.
>   The reason we use something light is so the switch can
> lift it up when
> the door is
> unlatched. If you decide to use something tubular, fill
> the ends solid
> so that the door
> pins don't jamb into the tube. If you use wood make sure
> it is a loose
> fit and you might
> want to brush a light coat of resin on it so that it
> doesn't swell with
> moisture...
>   Parallel wire the switches with the common and normally
> closed (not
> depressed)
> contacts wired as a pair. Recommend switching ground
> instead of running
> +12V
> down to the switch.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Wayne Lanza
> Composite Design, Inc.

> On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 10:45 AM, Brett Ferrell
> wrote:
>
> > I've just installed my doors, and I see that I have
> these nifty
> > microswitches in my kit, but no instructions on where
> best to install
> > them.  Any ideas on what the preferred placement would
> be (and perhaps
> > a picture)??  Thanks.
> >
> > Brett

=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying