REFLECTOR:Door Switch Placement

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:47:16 -0400

--Apple-Mail-4--167992636

  The best, tried & true method for mounting the door switches is under=20=

the rear pin
on the bottom of each door. Situate the micro switch such that there is=20=

about an inch
of distance from the switch lever to the end of the locking pin with=20
the door latched.
Next take a piece of wooden dowel (or something very light) and cut it=20=

to length so
that it is long enough to depress the switch lever when the  door is=20
latched.
  The reason we use something light is so the switch can lift it up when=20=

the door is
unlatched. If you decide to use something tubular, fill the ends solid=20=

so that the door
pins don't jamb into the tube. If you use wood make sure it is a loose=20=

fit and you might
want to brush a light coat of resin on it so that it doesn't swell with=20=

moisture...
  Parallel wire the switches with the common and normally closed (not=20
depressed)
contacts wired as a pair. Recommend switching ground instead of running=20=

+12V
down to the switch.

Hope this helps,
Wayne Lanza
Composite Design, Inc.

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 10:45 AM, Brett Ferrell wrote:

> I've just installed my doors, and I see that I have these nifty=20
> microswitches in my kit, but no instructions on where best to install=20=

> them.=A0 Any ideas on what the preferred placement would be (and =
perhaps=20
> a picture)??=A0 Thanks.
>
> Brett

--Apple-Mail-4--167992636

 The best, tried & true method for mounting the door switches is under
the rear pin

on the bottom of each door. Situate the micro switch such that there
is about an inch

of distance from the switch lever to the end of the locking pin with
the door latched.

Next take a piece of wooden dowel (or something very light) and cut it
to length so

that it is long enough to depress the switch lever when the  door is
latched.

 The reason we use something light is so the switch can lift it up
when the door is

unlatched. If you decide to use something tubular, fill the ends solid
so that the door

pins don't jamb into the tube. If you use wood make sure it is a loose
fit and you might

want to brush a light coat of resin on it so that it doesn't swell
with moisture...

 Parallel wire the switches with the common and normally closed (not
depressed)

contacts wired as a pair. Recommend switching ground instead of
running +12V

down to the switch.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Lanza