REFLECTOR:Re: Dynon & EFIS systems

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:14:35 -0400

  I have followed the Dynon project for the past couple of years and am
not impressed.
We watched a unit at Sun-N-Fun and Oshkosh roll over while not in
motion. When I
quietly asked about this precess issue I got a few dirty looks and got
a response like
'it really didn't do that'... there is also a maximum roll rate problem
that will scramble it.
They are relying on solid state rate sensors that will average somewhat
OK if the unit
is moving around, but apply a continuous lateral force, i.e. a turn, or
NO movement
and it will tumble.
  The Digifly uses a three axis magnetometer and three axis of both
linear and angular
accelerometers, the Blue Mountain system employs a similar solution.
I'm not sure about
the Grand Rapids, but it is supposed to be OK.
  Cards on the table - I represent Digifly and am also good friends with
Greg Richter from
Blue Mountain. Digifly is an old Italian company that has manufactured
color map/GPS/efis
systems for over ten years. Our AHARS is now three years old and cannot
be tumbled -
that's a bold statement and it's the truth. After 6 months experience
with the Blue Mountain
in the Velocity Dash 5 airplane, I have to say that Greg has done a
great job with the design.
  Another gotcha with an EFIS is sunlight viewing, don't take anything
less than a first hand
opportunity to see on in the direct sunlight - not a lamp or flash
light!
  I have a triple screen Digifly fms100 system in my Velocity, if you
are by the factory please
talk with me for a comprehensive demonstration.

Fly Safe & Best Regards,
Wayne Lanza
Composite Design, Inc.

visit our web site at:   http://www.CompositeDesignInc.com