REFLECTOR:Vision Micro guys

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:41:22 -0600

I also have the same setup Chuck has, VM with the VM-1000, fuel gages, OAT-CHT and clock.

I won't repeat Chucks comments but I will heartily second them and add a few comments to them. The lack of interconnection between my vision fuel gages  and the vision system is really irritating.  Makes the fuel warning system a joke.  My clock is always set to flight time, because its a pain to change it, the interface is clumsy too. I have a countdown timer in my Terra Nav unit that is simple and easy to use. I never use the vision clock for a timer.

in addition.

1.)  The inflexibility of the settings is frustrating.  Not being able to set the warning values for Low Voltage, or High RPM or any other the others is a big negative in my opinion.  I called VM and they said oh just send it in , pay a whopping engineering fee for custom settings and your good to go!  So my plane has to be down for weeks and I have to pay a huge amount just to have my Low Voltage warning come on 1/2 a volt lower than the factory setting.  I should be able to set individual parameters myself in the plane..

2.) Not being able to suppress a warning makes you ignore them.  If Low Voltage comes on I don't want it flashing in my face for an hour or two if I decide I can make it home on battery power.  I should be able to suppress the warning for a few minutes or for the rest of the flight. I put tape over the VM1000 on one flight because of just that.  Having a red flashing warning that your are completely aware of for two hours is useless and distracting.  So I covered it up and sacrificed all the other warnings because of a lame interface that was interfering with flight ops.

3.) The 100 or so individual connectors to the sensors is a joke.  30's technology.

4.) The visibility of the unit in high light conditions is very poor. When flying into the sun its completely unreadable even with the back lighting turned way up.

As I said before, I would probably not install a VM in a new plane. I think there are comparable units available that address all the shortcomings for a comparable or better price. Its a very cool looking unit, one of the coolest in my opinion, gets lots of ooh's and ah's when people see it, but it falls short on the operating side.

Scott