REFLECTOR:Vision Micro guys

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:30:14 -0400

Well, as long as we have VM's attention, I'll pass along some thoughts of my
own.  I have a VM-1000 with satellite gauges for OAT/CAT, chronometer, fuel
gauges and the alarm and checklist window.  Given the cost of the Vision
equipment (compared to the price and capability of other units on the
market) the shortcomings, such as ones noted below, are difficult to
understand.

1.	Inability to download engine data to a computer or other links.  To
do a single engine lean test requires writing down nearly a hundred numbers
and over 500 digits.  Virtually everyone allows downloading of data, VM
should also

2.	Lack of flexibility.  My fuel gauges are highly accurate and
reliable.  Accordingly, I have no interest in having to reset the fuel
computer on the VM-1000 each time I add fuel. But if I don't, the alarm
panel keeps flashing at me and I have to acknowledge it every few minutes.
The idea that individual values and alarms can not be turned on/off seems so
20th century.

3.	The chronometer is virtually unusable.  With a dinky twist knob and
non-intuitive set of selections, I consider it wasted panel space.  Provide
a 2 1/4" unit that has a couple items of interest, such as local/UTC/flight
time, and a LARGE digital timer that can be actuated with a button on our
control stick for timing, then they'd have something worth putting in a
panel.

I "like" my VM-1000, but I don't "love" it due to the noted shortcomings.
VM started with a great product but it has digressed to just a good product
as the competition has caught up to, or passed, VM in cost, features,
flexibility and functionality.

So here's hoping that some of these items will get fixed and that the fix
doesn't cost us an arm-n-leg.  I suspect my improvement list is not all
inclusive and others have contributions they'd like to make.  It's a good
sign VM wants to join the list so they can get direct feedback.  The acid
test is what they do with the information.

Chuck Jensen