[Canards] Re: REFLECTOR:Low volt warning

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:04:41 -0600

> How do you know your alt. is putting out 30+ amps. It's my
> understanding that the vision only reports AMP load, thus it isn't
> an Ammeter, it's an AMP loadmeter.

It depends on how you wire the sensor.  I wired it on the main feed from the alternator, thus if it reads 30 amps,  30 amps are coming from the alternator, its possible that the system is using more by taking the rest from the battery, but with a batt voltage of 13.6 that's not likely.

> I haven't had any trouble with mine, I did upgrade to the new two
> plug connector system they use today.

That sounds like a great improvement. The 60 or so individual connectors is a nightmare to R&R.

> The sensors are expensive, but no more than any good manufacture.
> I've seen poor results with some of the cheaper senders.

If you shop around their prices are very steep.  I bought a MP sensor from Digikey for 20% of the cost that Vision wanted(same exact sensor, part number and manufacturer).  Seems like a 5 times markup is taking advantage of their customers.  I also purchased a replacement EGT probe from A.S. for 1/3 of Vision's cost, it looks like its a better sensor and works fine.  A 3 times markup also seems a bit steep to me.

Your free to spend your money any way you like.

Scott