REFLECTOR:Low volt warning

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:20:16 -0600

I have the vision in my plane, I get a low voltage warning on take offs at night with everything on and then I hit the gear up switch, its a drag. The voltage is at 13.6 or 13.5 when it comes on, alternator is putting out 30+amps.  Soon as the gear is up it goes out.

I had the low fuel in sump warning come on once, scared the crap out of me.  I had about 10 gals in each wing at the time.  Never seen it again.

I get garbage displayed intermittently by the 1000 display.

I called Vision to see if I could get a couple of my limit settings changed, of course you have to send the brain in to get this done(stupid design).  But you only have two choices, either use the limits for your engine or another as set forth by Lycoming and Vision, or pay big bucks for a custom set of numbers.

I like the layout of the Vision system but can't say I'd put it in a new plane.  Its too restrictive in setting up the warning parameters, lousy wiring setup with all those individual connectors(50+), very difficult to impossible to see if bright out side(like flying into the sun), unexplained behavior(warnings, garbage display), very expensive sensors(2 to 3 times A.S.).

Scott