REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:18:44 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38A8A.CD5A7B30

>From some Reflector postings and off-line comments, it seemed highly
unlikely that there wouldn't be any markings on the "impossibly put together
pitot".  Apparently, in the plating process, enough metal was displaced that
the only way to see the manufacturer's imprint was to position a light
just-so and hold your mouth just right.  On the plane, it looked perfectly
smooth on both sides where the imprint was.  It took a few attempts but I
was able to glean the following information:

Kollsman Mfr No. 369D-011
AN5816-1, 12-16v
Patent Canada, 1940
Patent No. 2.204.367

In checking the web, this AN5816-1 number corresponds to pitots used in some
old warbirds, though it wasn't possible to tell which ones.  More currently,
that number was used in Aerostars and Piper Aztecs.  It's called a "sharkfin
pitot" due to the, well, sharkfin looking sail on the top of the pitot.
Equally surprising, it truly is a 12v pitot, not 24v as I was told.  The
heavy current draw was from an internal short that became apparent as I did
more testing; apparently incurred during the plating process.  Nonetheless,
Dave Black's, et al, discourse on epower and ecurrent was interesting and
informative.  I'll post a couple photos when I get the USB working again.
However, anyone that has any idea in how to break into this thing would be
most welcome to pass along suggestions.  I really want to repair/salvage it
if I can.

On a different note, Jim now has me skeptical and fearful about flying near
a cloud in a plastic plane.  I'm ever so thankful for the many times I must
have already cheated death's grip.  My personal minimums have now gone up to
20,000 overcast with 10 mile visibility and low humidity!!

Chuck Jensen, in East Tennessee where gaming Jim is the sport of the day.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38A8A.CD5A7B30

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=koi8-r">
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>From some Reflector postings and off-line comments,
it seemed highly unlikely that there wouldn't be any markings on the "impossibly
put together pitot".&nbsp; Apparently, in the plating process, enough metal was
displaced that the only way to see the manufacturer's imprint was to
position&nbsp;a light just-so and hold your mouth just right.&nbsp; On the
plane, it looked perfectly smooth on both sides where the imprint was. &nbsp;It
took a few attempts but I was able to glean the following
information:</FONT></P>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>Kollsman Mfr No. 369D-011</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>AN5816-1, 12-16v</FONT></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>Patent Canada, 1940</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Patent No. 2.204.367</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>In checking the web, this AN5816-1 number
corresponds to pitots used in some old warbirds, though it wasn't possible to
tell which ones.&nbsp; More currently, that number was used in Aerostars and
Piper Aztecs.&nbsp; It's called a "sharkfin pitot" due to the, well, sharkfin
looking sail on the top of the pitot.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></FONT><FONT
face=Arial size=2>Equally surprising, it truly is&nbsp;a 12v pitot, not 24v as I
was told.&nbsp; The heavy current draw was from an internal short that became
apparent as I did more testing; apparently incurred during the plating
process.&nbsp; Nonetheless, Dave Black's,&nbsp;et al, discourse on epower and
ecurrent was interesting and informative.&nbsp; I'll post a couple photos when I
get the USB working again.&nbsp; However, anyone that has any idea in how to
break into this thing would be most welcome to pass along suggestions.&nbsp; I
really want to repair/salvage it if I can.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>On a different note,&nbsp;Jim now has me skeptical
and fearful&nbsp;about flying near a cloud in a plastic plane.&nbsp; I'm ever so
thankful for the many&nbsp;times I must have already cheated death's grip.&nbsp;
My personal minimums have now gone up to 20,000 overcast with 10 mile visibility
and low humidity!! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Chuck Jensen, in East Tennessee where gaming Jim is
the sport of the day.<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38A8A.CD5A7B30--