REFLECTOR:Heated Pitot and Ice

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 06:13:43 -0400

>Many builders equip their aircraft for IFR flight and routinely fly IFR in
IMC.
>The Velocity is not designed for flight into known icing conditions - this
is true of most aircraft in the general aviation fleet
>That being said, several Velocity pilots have reported first-hand
experiences of encountering airframe ice.  It is nice to hear that when this
happened, the aircraft did not exhibit bad habits or problems with control.
>While no one goes looking for ice - whenever an aircraft flies into visible
moisture, there is a possibility of ice.
>When airframe icing occurs, it usually occurs first on the little things
that stick out in the air stream - i.e. the leading edge of airfoils,
external antennas, and pitot tubes.
>Should the aircraft encounter icing conditions, the pitot tube will likely
collect ice and become blocked well before the aircraft experiences problems
due to airframe icing.
>A heated pitot tube is therefore an important safety consideration (in my
opinion) whenever anyone is planning to fly their aircraft into visible
moisture.

My thoughts,
Scott B.