REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:52:41 -0400

Scott,

You raise a good point.  It does seem like the best tie-in point would be an
interlock with the gear-up circuit.  In other words, the pitot can't be
turned on while the gear is down.  One would have to rely on a marked change
in epower consumption when the pitot was switched on/off to confirm
operations.  One could put a by pass on the interlock circuit for ground
testing but I think we all see what happens when a vehicle is made a little
too complicated...can you say "space shuttle."

Chuck Jensen

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Scott Baker
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 4:37 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech@dixie-net.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:26 PM

> For those of us with RG, how about running the pitot heat with the same
switch that
> prevents the gear from retracting on the ground?

John,
I do _not_ think it would be a good idea to bring the gear pressure switch
(which is hooked up to the pitot system) into play ref: the powering "On" of
the pitot heat.  If the pitot were to ice over, then the airspeed would read
close to "0", the pressure switch would remain open and the pitot heat would
never come on!
Also - since it takes a few moments for the heating element to warm up, it
is a good idea to turn the pitot heat "On" prior to entering any visible
moisture - which could mean turning on the pitot heat during run up prior to
taking off into rainy conditions.
Scott B.