REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 05:36:51 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech@dixie-net.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

> For those of us with RG, how about running the pitot heat with the same
switch that
> prevents the gear from retracting on the ground?

John,
I do _not_ think it would be a good idea to bring the gear pressure switch
(which is hooked up to the pitot system) into play ref: the powering "On" of
the pitot heat.  If the pitot were to ice over, then the airspeed would read
close to "0", the pressure switch would remain open and the pitot heat would
never come on!
Also - since it takes a few moments for the heating element to warm up, it
is a good idea to turn the pitot heat "On" prior to entering any visible
moisture - which could mean turning on the pitot heat during run up prior to
taking off into rainy conditions.
Scott B.