REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

Paul Calhoun reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:27:54 -0700

Chuck,
The 24 volt pitot may have been chosen with premeditation, so that the
heat would be less and not cook off the paint or melt your pointy glass
nose. My installation with a 12 v pitot is wrapped with a layer of
asbestos weave but still heats to the point my wife could iron my shirts
with the pitot. After being operated for four minutes on the ground has
darkened my primer paint job a bit.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 1:11 PM
To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'
Subject: REFLECTOR:A (re)volting problem

Looking for any ideas out there.  My Velo has a 12v system but a 24v
pitot, which was installed prior to my involvement.  Is there any way of
jumping from 12v to 24v to drive the pitot, which draws a few amps.  The
reverse, 24v to 12v, seems to be able to be done quite easily.  But
going from 21v to 24v seem problematic and I haven't discovered any
great solutions.

A second avenue of exploration is this Velo is equipped with two (2),
12v batteries.  Is there a way of taking the 24v from the two batteries
without having a totally jerry-rigged system whose failure could
potentially make both batteries inop?  The dual battery, even though
I've never had to switch to the second unit, is a degree of redundancy
that I would not like to compromise.

Why not change out the pitot?  Well, the previous one was plated and
fitted for the plane, right on the pointy end of the plane and I kind of
like it. Changing it out with a 12v unit would be a last resort.  Ideas?

Chuck Jensen