REFLECTOR:Landing Light

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:15:09 -0600

With the days getting short and the bug population down, I decided this
is the right time to do my first night landings in my SRG Velocity.  I
have a single 100 watt light in the nose and I'm satisfied with the
lighting at 100 ft AGL to touchdown.  However there is no peripheral
light for taxiing in unlit areas.  Having had the experience a few years
ago of having to land with a blown landing light and not being able to
see the runway before I felt it, I still want to add a second landing
light as a backup.  I'm looking for a simple way to add a light without
major surgery on the panel.  I plan on using the second light only when
the nose light is blown.  How about if I use a mercury switch, mounted
on the nose gear for the primary light and use my existing panel switch
for the backup light?

John