REFLECTOR:Oil Congealing Problems in Lines to Front Cooler

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:30:52 -0500

Rich,

It's a standard 3-way valve.  Plumbing and mechanical suppliers have scads
of them, McMaster Carr among others.  There's various iterations but, when
centered, it can have both side closed or open (but not on the same valve).
Most will allow a fractional flow, such as 75% to one side and 25% to the
other, depending on handle position.

Of course, none, when centered, will do 100% both sides as that would seem
to be 200% of total flow which, my rudimentary math and physics says, won't
happen.  You can check the seat materials but there's a wide selection that
will tolerate the heat and petroleum environment.

In effect, the valve would just be used as a proportioning valve.  Has
anyone looked at the vacuum controls used in vehicles for controlling valves
that need proportional control for things like air temp control?

Ever the conformist, I too am in favor of more heat up front...at least in
the winter.

Chuck Jensen