REFLECTOR:Matco Brakes

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:39:29 -0700

I exchanged emails with Georag Happ(Matco) and figured out it was Pilot
error!  No suprise there!

I was using the torqueing method for old style bearings with the felt dust
seal where you tighten until the wheel starts to drag, then back off until
you can get the cotter pin in.

The way to torque the Timkens with the built in seal,  is to torque until
the wheel starts to drag, then tighten to the next cotter pin hole, not
loosen.  There is a expected friction of

18-26 inch pounds of torque (drag)

 when it is tightened correctly.

I re tightened per the manual(duh), and no spinning of bearing.

http://matco.elixirlabs.com/index.php?uid=2192&page=2087

Scott