REFLECTOR:Matco Brakes

Dennis Martin reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:06:24 -0700

--============_-1142238105==_ma============

Possible solution to keep Matco washers from spinning
As everyone knows, the washer is not supposed to spin with the wheel
on our Matco brake system.  I bought two new outside washers for my
wheels (I think I got them at NAPA, not sure).   The new washers have
a bigger diameter, and are also a few thousandths thicker.   I did
this because the rubber seal was popping out in one spot when I
torqued the nut tight enough to keep the washer from spinning when
rotating the wheels.  I'm not flying yet, but I think this mod might
work.

FYI, I couldn't find the perfect size washer, so I had to reduce the
outside diameter with a die grinder.  I ground it so close that the
rubber seal can't squeeze out now, and I can tighten it enough to
keep it from spinning with the wheel.  With the factory washer, I
couldn't get it tight enough to prevent my washers from spinning.

All the best,
Dennis Martin

>Speaking of brakes,  I rotated my main tires yesterday, inside to outside).
>
>I noticed the outside outer bearing on the right wheel had rotated
>somewhat.  Enough to score the axle nut.  It was well lubed and
>there was no play in the bearings before I removed the wheel, so I
>don't think I was running them to loose.
>
>Anybody have this happen to them with Matco's?
>
>I'm going to replace the bearing just in case, but need a new axle
>nut.  I tried to access Matco's web site but I get a blank page?
>Maybe NAPA carries the nut, I know they will have the bearing.
>
>Scott

>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

--============_-1142238105==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
spinning</b></div>
wheel on our Matco brake system.&nbsp; I bought two new outside
washers for my wheels (I think I got them at NAPA, not sure).&nbsp;&nbsp;
The new washers have a bigger diameter, and are also a few thousandths
thicker.&nbsp;&nbsp; I did this because the rubber seal was popping
out in one spot when I torqued the nut tight enough to keep the washer
from spinning when rotating the wheels.&nbsp; I'm not flying yet, but
I think this mod might work. </div>
the outside diameter with a die grinder.&nbsp; I ground it so close
that the rubber seal can't squeeze out now, and I can tighten it
enough to keep it from spinning with the wheel.&nbsp; With the factory
washer, I couldn't get it tight enough to prevent my washers from
spinning.</div>
main tires yesterday, inside to outside).<br>
I noticed the outside outer bearing on the right wheel had rotated
somewhat.&nbsp; Enough to score the axle nut.&nbsp; It was well lubed
and there was no play in the bearings before I removed the wheel, so I
don't think I was running them to loose.<br>
Anybody have this happen to them with Matco's?<br>
I'm going to replace the bearing just in case, but need a new axle
nut.&nbsp; I tried to access Matco's web site but I get a blank page?&nbsp;
Maybe NAPA carries the nut, I know they will have the bearing.<br>
Scott<br>