REFLECTOR:Gap Seals

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:51:20 -0600

On a vaguely related issue, I recently installed vortex generators on my canard and
wing.  Finally got some still air with a passenger I'm not married to (love her to
death, but she's got this mindset that anything <80 kts assures a terminal spin) and
was really impressed.  I normally carry 80 kts in the groove, 75 over the fence and
touch down at about 70.  Now, I subtract a good honest TEN KNOTS from all of those
numbers.  With about 40 gal of fuel, upwards of 430 lbs in the front seat (that's a
sure 'nuff fully loaded canard), 500 fpm steady sink rate, at 60 kts I had enough
pitch authority to flare - no slack, it stalled right after flare, but I was at SIXTY
KNOTS.  That's about 110,000 ft lb of energy that I don't have to worry about
absorbing with brakes.  Sure glad I have gap seals and rudders at those speeds.
Do I sound like a true believer? ... Jim S.