REFLECTOR:Gap Seals

Gilles Gratton reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:22:45 -0500

Chuck,
            I use white electrical tape on my aileron gap. If put on a clean
dry surface, it will hang on for a long time.  Make sure to lower the
aileron all the way down during the tape application so as not to limit
aileron down-travel.(it will pucker some when the aileron travels up, but
that is OK.) It definitely improves aileron authority at low speeds.  I
don't use anything on the elevators (like others,I have removed the elevator
cuffs  that plans called for when I built: I think this also improved low
speed control).
Cheers, Gilles
p.s. unlike Ronnie's, my tape is only rated for 175 mph CND but it hangs on.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Chuck Jensen
Sent: 24 novembre 2003 17:31
To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'
Subject: REFLECTOR:Gap Seals

I hadn't seen this topic drawn-n-quartered recently and didn't have luck
with an archive hunt.  Has anyone tried gap seals on the aileron and/or
elevator?  Good or bad idea?  Or, not with the effort?  When I visited
Ronnie B., he made some off-hand mention of how his 200mph tape didn't hang
on long, but I didn't quiz him further about it.  Given all the testers and
experimenters, I assume someone has gone there.  Fess up.

Chuck Jensen