REFLECTOR: CG Determination (was Stall Characteristics)

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:18:05 -0800

Tom,

The design Center of Gravity range is set by the aerodynamics (wing shape,
angles of attack, etc.) and should be very close for all aircraft completed
in accordance with the plans.  That's published in the manual.  However,
your actual CG location must be determined by careful weighing of the
completed aircraft (each wheel at effectively the same time) and calculating
the CG location.  Then the CG for each proposed loading can be determined
from the weight and location of people, cargo, etc. and a little simple
mathematics.  The measured/calculated CG location is then compared to the
design CG range to assure that you are going to be within the specified
range.

The "minimum control" (aka "stall") speeds are to be determined
experimentally at various points within the CG range during your test flying
period to check that the aerodynamics of your plane are actually the same
(or at least close) to the design aerodynamics.

By the way, did you sell that prop?

Keith