REFLECTOR:Re: [Canards] Flight characteristics of a Canard

Greg Poole reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:15:54 +1100

Dear Scott,

Careful old mate! .....I for one didn't read / interpret any of the
discussions to date  as indicating  that a deep stall would ALWAYS result
from hammerheading a canard - "no matter what the CG is".  I am sure you
would agree that to do so would be absurd. What I did read was caution being
advised as a conservative measure to avoid a likelihood of deep stall and
the possibility of not being able to recover. The majority of responses
appear to indicate that provided a proper consideration of the CG loading of
an aircraft is made then it is likely that it will recover from a deep stall
as more likely to be induced by activity (ie: aerobatic activity) outside of
the envelope that we would normally expect to be a conservative
recommendation of a kit supplier - for obvious reasons. Mind you, one of the
highlights of my canard flying has been as a passenger with people who knew
what they were doing in performing rolls and the odd high speed manoevre
such as a pull up (...have yet to experience a loop).

....don't know if you are aware of it but your often very strong responses
(which I often enjoy and get a chuckle out of  - call it relief from the
tedium of continual polite postings) are likely to invoke "heat" into any
discussion due to their "go for the throat" nature and the recipient of your
disagreement with their view not appreciating being publicly ostracised.

If it were not for the fact that your wonderfully enquiring mind raises
subjects and investigation that would not have happened otherwise, I believe
you may have been burnt at the stake long ago!

...all in good fun and education!

Greg in Sydney.
Std RG E Velocity