REFLECTOR:Synthetic Oil

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:13:15 -0500

Rene,

I had an extended discussion with a Aero Shell rep two years ago.  You may
recall that Mobil (at least I think it was Mobil) marketed synthetic to the
aero world and had a big problem.  Paid for many engine repairs.  This
issue is suspension of lead.  Seems synthetic does not do a good job
suspending lead.  So to use pure synthetics, you need to switch to unleaded
gasoline.  I have seen some marketing in the Av press for blends.  It would
appear the manufacturers are addressing the lead question by adding oil to
the synthetic.

For What It's Worth,
Jerry

                      "Rene Dugas"
                      <rdugas@bayou.com        To:       <reflector@tvbf.org>
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  REFLECTOR:Synthetic Oil
                      reflector-admin@t
                      vbf.org

                      11/12/2003 11:33
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      reflector

Dear Folks,
Why is synthetic oil not recommended after break-in in Lycoming engines?  I
know they leak but we all know synthetics lubricate better.  Is it just a
certification problem and should we experimental actually use synthetics
like Mobil one or Catrol?
Many opinions are flying around so hit me with a few.
Rene' Dugas
Flying.
FYI.  I don't know the Rutans and have only done one aileron roll in my
plane.

and privileged information or otherwise protected by law.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
all copies of the original message.