REFLECTOR:Stall Characteristics

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:19:40 -0500

I think that those who are debating the stall characteristics of the
Velocity are making associations to the aircraft's behavior when it is put
into a normal "pitch-buck" kind of stall.  Yes, the front wing looses lift.
Yes, the nose drops when the canard stalls - but does the nose fall
(primarily) because of the CG of the aircraft - or is the nose drop "helped"
by the fact that the main wings are continuing to develop lift?

What do you suppose might happen if a Velocity were lifted by a balloon and
then released?  With no airflow over any of the control surfaces the pilot
can "pump" the controls like mad ...and even with the propeller running,
nothing would happen until sufficient air flow is traveling over the control
surfaces.  We all know how light the nose weight is in our aircraft.  If the
aircraft were dropped in a level attitude, would the gravitational weight of
the nose overcome the upward force of the air on the canard - in other
words, without forward motion over the elevators, and without the main wings
lifting the rear end of the aircraft, is the nose going to drop ... or will
the forces of the air under the canard keep the nose from dropping while the
aircraft is falling?

Performing a hammerhead and bringing the aircraft to a complete stop is like
being dropped from a balloon.  The point is, when someone attempts a
"hammerhead" type maneuver in a Velocity, they become a test pilot.  Will
the aircraft fall "right side up" or "upside down"?  Who knows?  The pilot
has no control.

I've never tried to initiate a deep stall (I don't think I'll ever have the
tempted)!  Recovery (in my opinion) is linked to forward air speed.  Air
flow is needed to get those elevators working to restore pitch control.
Altitude is your friend - and so is a constant speed propeller to help get
that puppy moving again.

Note: I met with Lon Arnold following one of his Long EZ routines at
Copperstate.  Lon confirms that he does not stall the aircraft during his
show.  What looks like a hammerhead is a last minute wing-over.

Fly safe everybody!
SB