REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:18:54 EST

--part1_49.35cb59c1.2cdb179e_boundary

  I guess, that in my experience, cont and lycs fail with not a catastrophic
failure, but a seal, mag, or valve failure that does not stop the engine,
whereas auto engines break rods, cranks, or other pieces that shut the engine
down. I admit that I have limited experience with auto engines, but I have over
26,000 hours with only one failure in a Lyc that made it stop. ( it was in a
Pawnee 235 and broke an exhaust valve.) Most of my time has been in ag planes, so
I am not talking about engines that were babied. O540s in the Pawnees seemed
like they ran forever, and I have run several R985s to over 1600 hours before
changing them. Sure, they leaked a lot of oil, but they had good compression
and made power fine.
  Aircraft engines seen to be built much heavier then auto engines of the
same power. Compare a Suburu and a Lyc. The Lyc might be a dinosaur, but it seems
if it is basically stock, it will get you where you are going and back.
  I  like some of the comversions coming on the market now, especially the
rotarys, but still think for reliability, you can't beat a certificated engine.
                                                  Michael Gunvordahl

--part1_49.35cb59c1.2cdb179e_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&nbsp; I guess, that in my experience, cont and lycs f=
ail with not a catastrophic failure, but a seal, mag, or valve failure that=20=
does not stop the engine, whereas auto engines break rods, cranks, or other=20=
pieces that shut the engine down. I admit that I have limited experience wit=
h auto engines, but I have over 26,000 hours with only one failure in a Lyc=20=
that made it stop. ( it was in a Pawnee 235 and broke an exhaust valve.) Mos=
t of my time has been in ag planes, so I am not talking about engines that w=
ere babied. O540s in the Pawnees seemed like they ran forever, and I have ru=
n several R985s to over 1600 hours before changing them. Sure, they leaked a=
 lot of oil, but they had good compression and made power fine.<BR>
&nbsp; Aircraft engines seen to be built much heavier then auto engines of t=
he same power. Compare a Suburu and a Lyc. The Lyc might be a dinosaur, but=20=
it seems if it is basically stock, it will get you where you are going and b=
ack.<BR>
&nbsp; I&nbsp; like some of the comversions coming on the market now, especi=
ally the rotarys, but still think for reliability, you can't beat a certific=
ated engine.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Michael G=
unvordahl</FONT></HTML>

--part1_49.35cb59c1.2cdb179e_boundary--