REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.

Jim Agnew reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:39:28 -0800 (PST)

Let me start by saying that I'm not against auto, rotary,
steam or any other type of conversion.

What I am against is comparisons with aircraft engines in
certified and experimental aircraft against them.  First
(see my tutorial about aircraft engine overhauls).  Al
mentions 500 hr. SMOH, do you know that an overhaul can
consist of nothing more that seals and gaskets!!!  Unless
you know the type of overhaul including the work order you
don't know what was done.  In an expert mental engine it is
even worse.

I've seen Lyc's in trainers go 2000-2400 between overhauls
getting the daylights kicked out of them that most engines
wouldn't survive.  I've also seen them fail in a lot less
time.

To get real figures you need to start from a common
starting base and abuse all of them alike and maintain them
to the required standards to establish real life.

A closer comparison for automobile engines would be their
use in boats where they get far more abuse and continuous
HP output demands.  I'll bet that they don't show any where
near where (personal experience also)the reliability of the
same engine in a car.

Jim

--- Jim Sower <canarder@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Al,
> I'm on your side here, but I get the impression of a
> double
> standard in parts of your post that I find uncomfortably
> common
> in the general discourse about auto conversions.
> <... get better performance and lower cost, no doubt
> about it;
> but the reliability is hard to achieve ...>
> Better performance at lower cost I agree with.  What
> reliability?  Admittedly, my own personal experience with
> three
> Lycs (O-235, O-320, IO-360, ALL with less than 500 SMOH
> when
> they came my way) has been abysmal - two jugs on EACH of
> them
> for various reasons, a front seal on the 360, a mag or
> two,
> etc., etc. - ALL within 200 or 300 hours of operation.
>
> But let's not use my experience as typical.  Show of
> hands boys
> and girls:  how many of us have had, or have a personal
> friend
> who has had, a Lycoming make it to TBO without a major
> failure?
> Now, let's go the other way - tell the truth now - how
> many have
> had or have a personal friend who has had a major failure
> in
> less than, say, 1200 hrs.  So much for reliability.
>
> <... pretty stout, reliable engines.  Still, their
> failure modes
> are primarily related to valves, connecting rods, and the
> occasional crankshaft break ...>
> Let's don't forget jugs (worn out/broken rings, cracked
> heads,
> scored barrels, etc. :o)
> Rightly enough, you don't count failures of peripherals
> since
> they don't indicate engine problems.  Sadly, most of the
> auto
> conversion "failures" ARE failures of peripheral systems,
> but
> nonetheless are attributed to the engine.  The type of
> double
> standard that obscures efforts at rational, unbiased
> observation.
>
> <... another engine with valves, connecting rods and
> crankshaft,
> stress it to the max, run it at high speeds, and add
> reduction
> gearing; and put it in your airplane ...>
> In the 70s, I was in the auto repair business.  The life
> expectancy of a V8 was 75k - 100k mi.  Since then, thanks
> to CNC
> mills, electronic ignition and injection and unleaded
> gas, any
> average car will get a quarter million miles before the
> body
> rots off the chassis with the engine still running
> strong.
> Aircraft engines have NONE of these life extending
> features.
> [...]

=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying