REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:30:30 -0700

Jim, I think you bring up a good point.

<...  in a certified aircraft ...>
>When did we start talking about certified aircraft.  How about Lycs and
>Continentals in homebuilt aircraft?  Why is it that they seem so much less
>reliable than the same engines installed in certified planes?

While I fly in front of an engine that was manufactured as certified, it is
no longer because  its installed in a Velocity, not to mention the EI and
other non-certified mods that have been done or are hanging on the
engine.  I am very interested in auto-conversions and the new experimental
engines that may be available soon.  If my Lycoming has a major failure I
would most likely replace it with a Rotary or Subi conversion at this point
in time.

I do think the certified engine installations in experimental airplanes
have a better track record than auto engines because so much of the
certified installation and peripherals  have been proven over time.  I
think you mentioned this fact.  Where as, most auto-conversions are truly
experimental and demand constant attention and tweaking, if not out right
repair and replacement at a much faster rate.  The Mazda Rotary and subi
conversions seem to be getting to a maturity point that is providing us
with installation "packages" that are less experimental and more proven.

A lot depends on why your building and flying an experimental airplane.
Many folks like constantly working on their bird. Solving problems to them
is as much if not more fun than flying. I on the other hand like working on
my plane on my schedule and flying whenever I want.  This demands high
reliability and stability from the whole plane.  I admit I have not
achieved the same overall reliability in my Velocity that I enjoyed from my
Bonanza.  Its getting better all the time but I still work on my plane on
its schedule a lot more than I would like.  I'm still a bit unsure if
running an auto-conversion can provide what a lyc or cont  engine can in
terms of trouble free operation.

There are other certified engines like the LOM or SMA that look to beat Lyc
& Cont in reliability, performance and long term cost.

Scott