REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:05:50 -0600

--------------2FD137F07C60A8B62A4F5AEE

Brian,
Very enlightening pictures.  I had a picture (couldn't find it
on short notice) of a Lycoming O-320, producing the 0.5 hp/cuin
it was designed to produce but broke a jug off and flailed the
rod around the case during the emergency landing.  Scared the
beejeezus out of me.  I'm told that's what happens when you run
a Lyc at "full power" ... :o)

As to your speculations around how he gets all that power out of
a measly 153 cuin, I would invite your attention to some basic
design attributes - like 3 or 4 moving parts (which will tend to
reduce internal losses a little bit), a rotating mass (which
seems to reduce internal losses, bearing loads and stress on
moving (and un-moving) parts) and the fact (previously alluded
to) that the crankshaft turns three revolutions to each rotor
revolution (somewhat reducing centrifugal loads).  Operating a
rotary at 6000 rpm represents 2000 rotor rpm with, at the risk
of repeating myself, NO RECIPROCATING PARTS.

In the racing world, rotarys seem to win much more often than
the number of entries would seem to indicate, perhaps partly
because they finish somewhat more often than recips on account
of their simplicity, reliability and robust design.

Of course, comparing recips to rotarys is comparing apples and
oranges ... Jim S.

--
Jim Sower
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5

--------------2FD137F07C60A8B62A4F5AEE

--------------9688156022FD5DA832020621

Brian,
on short notice) of a Lycoming O-320, producing the 0.5 hp/cuin it was
designed to produce but broke a jug off and flailed the rod around the
case during the emergency landing.&nbsp; Scared the beejeezus out of me.&nbsp;
I'm told that's what happens when you run a Lyc at "full power" ... :o)
153 cuin, I would invite your attention to some basic design attributes
- like 3 or 4 moving parts (which will tend to reduce internal losses a
little bit), a rotating mass (which seems to reduce internal losses, bearing
loads and stress on moving (and un-moving) parts) and the fact (previously
alluded to) that the crankshaft turns three revolutions to each rotor revolution
(somewhat reducing centrifugal loads).&nbsp; Operating a rotary at 6000
rpm represents 2000 rotor rpm with, at the risk of repeating myself, NO
RECIPROCATING PARTS.
of entries would seem to indicate, perhaps partly because they finish somewhat
more often than recips on account of their simplicity, reliability and
robust design.
.... Jim S.
	MARGIN-TOP: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica
}
P.msoNormal {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
LI.msoNormal {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
lot of people feel that keeping below 1 horsepower per cubic inch is about
he's turbocharging, running at rediculously high RPMs and compresion ratios,
I find it surprising to get that much horsepower.&nbsp; I would really
like to see the engineering he's put into that engine.&nbsp; Must be an
oversized machined billet crank, reinforced main bearings and reinforced
Michalk&nbsp; &lt;<a href="http://www.michalk.com/" target="_blank">http://www.michalk.com</a>>
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Message-----</font>
Behalf Of </b>Nolan Frederick</font>
Gentlemen,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I hope I don't offend with this.&nbsp; But
I just spoke with Lance Wheeler of NSI the other day and he told me he's
getting ready to produce a 2.5L (4 cyl) turbocharged Subaru FWF pkg that
his dyno says puts out 300 hp.&nbsp; I'll bet one thing.&nbsp; It'll be
a lot quieter than those rotarys.&nbsp; But, many more moving parts though.&nbsp;
I understand the 6 cyl turbo'd Subaru will put out 300 hp and will likely
cost a lot less than a 540 Lycosaur and probably won't beat your props
up quite so much.&nbsp; Oh yes, Mr. Wheeler said he has developed a new
heavy duty PSRU for the 300 hp 4 cyl engine.&nbsp; No, I don't work for
NSI.&nbsp; I just thought some of you Velocityites might find this interesting.nolan.&nbsp;</blockquote>

--------------9688156022FD5DA832020621

R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm
6sq27iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlYrPXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7am
p2tou/lWxo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw==