REFLECTOR:540 engine prices

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:19:27 -0500

Brett,
I am currently flying an IO-540 D in my XL-RG the first time I flew
it I was impressed with the speed and climb. I now want more. I made
the decision to go with the Lycoming for a number of factors. The
reliability of Lyc over Cont. seemed to be better. The Lyc seem to
make it to TBO. The engineering for the installation of the IO-550
was not yet done and I did not think I wanted to take the time to do
it. The decision to not go to the 300hp was easy because of weight
and the close fit of the cowl. Now that the IO-550N is installed in
at least 3 or 4 velocities I believe they have the kinks worked out.
The IO-550N is performing very well in Cirus and Lancair certified
aircraft. I don't believe there is a big difference in price for a
new engine. If I had it to do over I would look hard at the IO-550.
Ask a lot of questions about the FADAC or mixture It might not be
worth the cost and complexity. Having said that the IO-540D is bullet
proof and the Lyc's don't seem to suffer as much AD's as Cont. Lastly
I ended up being able to get a really good deal on a new IO-540 so
the decision was easy.

Jack
N55XL