REFLECTOR:Elevator balancing

Paul Calhoun reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 13:35:31 -0700

Pat,
My understanding is that the reason the elevator is balanced without the
sparrow strainer is that the weight of the strainer is neutralized by
the force of the air pushing upwards against the bottom of the strainer
during flight. I agree that Mark's comment is misleading but the factory
has always been clear that balancing is done without the strainer.
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Pat Shea
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 11:09 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Elevator balancing

 Okay, I'm ranting. After doing some research on
elevator balancing I've come up w/ a reflector post
that says the elevator should be balanced without the
sparrow strainer; VV volume 12 "Views from the West"
where Machado clearly states the side of the elevator
w/ the sparrow strainer is going to need more
counterweight to compensate for it (he's obviously
balancing w/ the strainer on); and the manual that
doesn't mention the strainer in the elevator balancing
section of chapter 4.
 What gives?? It seems more research only leads to
more conflicting information on a LOT of subjects.
Shouldn't the generally accepted standard/practice for
this sort of stuff be pretty well set in stone at this
point??

Pat