REFLECTOR:Gear Up Landing - N6Q

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:10:10 -0500

Chuck,
If all non-builder pilots were as responsible as you are, I don't think we
would have this problem, and my post obviously didn't apply to everyone who
hasn't built the aircraft that they fly.  I know that there are a lot of
pilots out there that  take the time to go over every inch and every
procedure of their new aircraft. but unfortunately, there are others (the
ones in the NTSB reports) that grab the keys and go. Just getting some
flight training in the factory aircraft, or even the one that is purchased
does not necessarily give you the information on how to handle every
emergency- I feel that the Velocity is just about as easy to fly as a low
performance spam can (except on final with the lack of barn doors to slow it
down) but learning to fly it isn't the problem, most pilots should be able
to get the hang of it with the hours of dual instruction that you mentioned,
but I think that most accidents have resulted from systems mismanagement;
fuel, electrical, ect. and these things take a lot of time to get up to
speed on if you didn't put them in the plane yourself, and since no two are
built alike, it is difficult even for the factory to help with this problem.
Even if the builder takes the time to go over everything that he or she can
think of with the buyer, there will still be some things that they will
miss. One velocity that I was helping to work on had 2 air pressure switches
installed for the landing gear system, so we could not figure out why the
gear did not work as per the manual, fortunately, the installer was just a
phone call away, and he walked us through this particular system.  Would
this have come up during a purchase debriefing? maybe,  could I have
contacted him by cell phone at midnight while I was circling my alternate
with no gear? maybe, (actually in this case this was not a safety related
situation, because the gear would still have gone down and locked with the
dump valve) but it is important to almost disassemble the aircraft and
reassemble it to know exactly what you have, because not everything will be
obvious.