REFLECTOR:Gear Up Landing - N6Q

Mike Pollock reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 07:35:50 -0500

Perhaps the emergency procedures should be stressed a bit more during the
training phase for that particular velocity.

Mike

From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Alexander Balic
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 6:49 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Gear Up Landing - N6Q

Well, see there, my old argument about why velocity has an apparent safety
record problem is proven once again -I don't want to start that argument up
again, but really, I think that Velocity has a higher non builder or partial
builder pilot percentage than most of the simpler aircraft, and since they
are not intimately familiar with what they are flying, it is causing trouble
for us with the insurance folks.  I can guarantee you that anyone who has
built an RG and dropped that gear a hundred times with the dump valve during
fit up/testing like I have would have calmly done it  in the air.  When I
first read the story I assumed that he had dropped it with the dump valve,
and it didn't lock down because of a dead gas spring, but of course there
are other explanations to what happened. What to do? I don't know........ as
long at there are folks with more money than time, this will continue.

Alex