REFLECTOR:Gear Up Landing - N6Q

S Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 18:01:56 -0400

I believe the following to be true regarding the recent (nose) gear up
landing of N6Q ... (If wrong, I stand ready to be corrected).
The aircraft experienced an alternator failure during a cross country
flight.
The pilot did not recognize this condition until the avionics fell off line.
Few, if any steps were taken to conserve the remaining power in the battery.
Pilot attempted to cycle the gear down with electrical power upon reaching
destination.
Main gear fell into down and locked position - nose gear experienced partial
travel.
For some reason the pilot did not attempt a manual gear extension.
Pilot was aware of "no green light" indication for the nose - and elected to
land anyway.
Nose gear collapsed upon landing.
Pilot was new to Velocity - had gone through the transition course - and did
not have a lot of experience with RG aircraft operations.
Scott B.