REFLECTOR:Help me buy a house...on an airport

Christopher Barber reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 10:29:45 -0500

Yeah, I am aware of the turf strip issues.  Just want to explore.  Some turf
I have seen are like golf courses others like mine fields.  I just shudder
at the thought of paving a 3500 (3/4 of a mile? How many acres?) feet strip
of my own (ok, love the idea, not the cost <g>)  I don't know what minimums
I would want to use as to pavement or what I might need to use due common
sense and/or regulation. Also, what are the requirements, such as FAA, of a
private field etc, etc? But we are getting ahead of ourselves here. (but it
is kinda fun).

Ok you guys flying, what is the real scoop on paved runway length?  I have a
potential new mortgage I can't afford in the balance.

Thanks.

Chris
Velocity SE in progress

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett Ferrell [mailto:bferrell@123mail.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:07 AM
To: CBarber@texasattorney.net
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Help me buy a house...on an airport

Hey - Good point.

For what it's worth, my plane will not be going to grass strips, either.
The factory recommends against this because the prop is soooo close to the
ground and the front wheel throws stuff up into it, and you have a very high
landing speed for grass.  Some Eze drivers do it all of the time, but they
are lighter and slower, and I know a couple that have damaged gear legs by
doing so.

Most of the grass strips around Ohio are interesting in a Cessna, and just
crazy in a canard.  The descent angle is too shallow, and the fields are too
short, and without a steerable nose wheel it just seems like asking for
trouble.

As I say, these are things that can be done, but I try this test.  "Would
someone try to put a $200,000 twin Piper on that strip?"  If the answer is
no, then I probably won't go there either...

Brett