REFLECTOR:Incident/crash

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 13:21:47 -0400

I'm not sure how those jacks were made, but here's what I did:

I bought 2 hydraulic bottle jacks from AutoZone (or Wal-Mart, etc).  Then I
built a stand out of 4x4 (or two 2 x4's nailed together.  These 2x4's are
screwed to a 16x16" piece of 3/4" plywood to make a foot for the stand.  I
then screwed some 1x2"s diagonally from the stand to the outer edges of the
foot.  You could also use a couple of 14" long 2x4's screwed to the side of
the stand and to the foot.  I made the stands long enough that I the bottle
jacks sit on top of the stands with a 2x4 on top of the bottle jack.  On top
of this I put some carpet to protect the finish.

Then place the jack stands about 3 feet out from the fuselage under the CS
spar.  For the nose, I used one of my adjustable HD / Lowe's saw horses.
Fits right behind the nose gear on a piece of foam or carpet.

You can see a picture of one of my jacks at
http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page47.html

Don't jump around in the plane but these stands are pretty steady.  And I
spent all of about $25 for the two jacks and some 2 1/2" long screws.  The
adjustable saw horse was $20 - and  very handy.  In fact buy two more and
put them under the wings as safeties in case you get too excited inside the
plane - working of course!!!

Ronnie Brown