REFLECTOR:Front seat hard points

Craig and/or Denise Woolston reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 15:21:49 -0700

Andy-

  I know this comes late in the discussion, but might as well add logs to
the great seat hardpoint bonfire...  We are building a XL-FG also and got
bit by the hardpoints in the wrong place.  I can try and tell you what we
have done (over a year ago), but we have not tried to install the seats with
foam and such.  For reference our orginal manual says,

Date May 01, 1997  XLF-16 pg. 10-6
27" from canard bulkhead, 6-5/8 and 14-1/8 off centerline for front
hardpoints
45.5" from canard bulkhead, 6-1/8 and 14 off centerline for rear hardpoints.

the new manual update says,
Dated Feb 2003, 06-XLF pg. 6-12
35" from canard bulkhead, 7.5 and 15 off centerline for the front hardpoints
45 from canard bulkhead, 7 and 14.5 off centerline for the rear hardpoints

what we did was put the rear hardpoints where it says in our orginal manual
and used the seat frame to locate front.  We made it parallel to the keel so
the seat should run freely.  I have heard that there were different types of
seat adjusters that might have added confusion also.  Ours have ball bearing
slides, I heard some peoples were just sq. tube sliding inside of bigger sq.
tube.  So to fix the problem with the rear hardpoint being on top of the
speed brake, we used a bigger hardpoint (2x5 inches), that we will ultilze
for both the seat and the angle bracket to the keel.  I've "heard" you have
to shim the right rear seat attachment anyway so this brings that point up.
This bigger hardpoint was then just glass over the top of speed brake
hindges hardpoint.

I will check the plane the next time I'm at my partner's house (I only have
wings here) if needed.

Craig