REFLECTOR:Incident/crash

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 21:50:42 -0700

At 06:09 PM 5/23/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Mike,
>I was just going to post the same thing..... the dump should work perfectly,
>and in mine, the nose gear is down and locked before the mains, plus the
>airflow should help it also, so this is puzzling...... unless the nitrogen
>spring was dead, and unable to push the linkage over center, so the gear was
>down but not locked????????

I'm an outsider here (and grateful for your letting me hang out) but if you
folks are using gas springs for gear overcenter springs, you should know
about one of the failure modes.

We used gas springs for gear overcenter and canopies on the prototype
Berkut, and when we talked to a rep from The Gas Spring Company (that was
really their name) they specifically asked about using them in the gear,
because that's what Lancair was doing.  It turns out that if a little chunk
of seal breaks off inside the cylinder, it can get lodged in the orifice
and totally lock a gas spring in both directions.

We ended up making cylinders with springs and plungers that worked
basically the same way as a gas spring, but without the damping.  That
failure mode is rare, but the rep had a picture of a car hood creased at
the gas spring attach point, where someone had tried to force it down
against a locked spring.  He said it was about a 1-1000 failure mode.

Just thought I'd let you know, I don't know if the Velocity design would
still let you lower the gear with a locked gas spring in the system.