REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 08:40:35 -0400

Thanks for both comments.  Now that I think about it, Scotts explanation
about the canard being the limiting factor, not the main wings (since they
don't stall---usually), then, an ever so slight improvement in lift on the
main wing is not going to do much, if anything, for the overall performance,
per Richard.  I still suffer from Piperistis and Cessenatosis thinking.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of richard@riley.net
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 1:43 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence

It appears from some wind tunnel testing done on a similar wing
configuration at NG for the Pegasus follow-on that TE fences do have a
small but measurable positive effect.

Though they certainly wouldn't change the aoa that the canard stalls at,
they appear to increase lift slightly for the main wing at the same
aoa.  So, the plane would be flying a *little* slower at canard stall.  But
we're talking very small changes, perhaps a knot.  They - in theory - would
also decrease TO roll a *little* - but we're talking about single digit
feet.  Maybe even single digit inches.  The increase in aileron
effectiveness is a much more significant change.