REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire detection

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 06:56:20 -0700

At 07:29 AM 5/21/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Jim Agnew wrote:
>>Given the airflow thru the cowl I don't know how effective
>>a Halon system will be.  You will have to flood the cowl
>
>I think your right on here.  I've been told by a couple fire "experts"
>that unless you carry a 100lb bottle a halon system in the engine
>compartment would be pretty useless in flight.
>
>On the ground with the plane not moving you might be able to extinguish a
>fire or at least give you more time to exit the airplane.

I've been told the same, without cowl flaps the halon is just blown
away.  I assume they mean cowl flaps that really close - which I've never
seen in a GA airplane.

OTOH, a halon system for the instrument panel would be a comfort.