REFLECTOR:Front seat hard points

Andy Millin reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 18 May 2003 11:03:59 -0400

Tony,

That was also suggested to me.  I have left it.

But, I met up with Wes Rose yesterday at the Triple H fly-in.  I told Wes
that I was making my final preparation to get the top of the fuselage put
on.  Then he started asking questions...  He had suggested that I should
take more time and install my seats, do my brake lines, do my rudder cable
conduit, and anything else possible before putting on the top.  He has built
two Velocities and has done it both ways.  He said I would thank myself for
getting this stuff done before I put the top on.

Wes clearly has the experience, so I'm going to get these things done.  But,
I have to figure out how. :)

Another thing, the manual calls for the seat rails to be mounted 2" from the
keel.  Makes the point that the rails should be parallel with it so the seat
won't bind when it moves back and forth.  This makes sense, but the 2"
doesn't.  The hard points appear to be centered about 3.5" from the keel.
If I move the rails so they are 2" from the keel, obviously I'm way off
center.  It has me scratching my head.  Also 2" doesn't seem like a lot of
room for the seat.  I'm inclined to mount the rails parallel to the keel,
but centered over the hard points.  Any comments or suggestions on the
placement would be appreciated.

And another question, if I may.  The manual calls for the hard points to be
drilled and tapped 1/4-20 and then generic threaded rod be inserted and cut
to length.  Great -- got it.  Then (the magic happens) install the seats.
I'm missing something here.  I can't find anything on the seat rails that
looks like it would accept 1/4-20 rod in any way, shape, or form.  It looks
like some welding skills are going to be required here.  I'm going to check
the new manuals again, but as far as I can see the rails I have cannot be
attached as they exist today.

Having all the fun I can building,

Best,

Andy