REFLECTOR:Cooling one cylinder

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:12:57 -0600

the #2 cylinder has run hot since I bought my plane.  #2 is the right
rear cylinder looking forward, #4 is right next to #2 towards the front.

I need to cool it down, the other three are fine, in fact #4, #2's cowl
mate runs the coolest. Which indicates to me that I need to take some of
the air from #4 and put it on #2.

I have a STD Rg with the arm pit scoops for engine cooling.  Each inside
each scoop is a diverter fin, directing some of the air towards the
forward cylinder and letting the rest inter the cowling towards towards
the rear.

There are no other diverting fins inside the lower cowling. The Baffling
is the standard factory updraft kit.  I silly-coned and added some red
baffling tape last summer to all the holes I could see which helped all
the cylinders about equally. About a 10 degree drop.

Seems like one of the things I could do is cut a bit of the fin off so
it lets more air towards the rear of the cowling.

Seems like I could also build a fiberglass fin into the lower cowling
near the #2 cylinder that would more directly focus the air up through
the cylinder.

Which should I do first?  Or do both together?  Any other ideas.

Scott