REFLECTOR:Legal Charts

Andy Millin reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 19:48:44 -0400

Scott,

We just had noted author and attorney Rick Durden speak to our chapter.  He
addressed this topic specifically.

A pilot is required to familiarize himself with all relevant information
surrounding the flight.  There is no requirement that any charts be carried.
Yes, this actually includes IFR approach plates.  If you think you are smart
enough to memorize all of the ones you will need then legally you "can" do
it.

Now, if you don't properly plan for the flight then it's your ...

Best,

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 5:18 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org; Canards@tnstaafl.net
Subject: REFLECTOR:Legal Charts

A discussion came up at the airport yesterday about legal charts.

I told everyone that I fly with WAC's because Sectionals are to small
requiring to much paper shuffle in my plane.  Lots of "Deer in the
Headlights" looks from the 172 drivers!

I carry TAC's for Vegas, Pheonix, L.A. and SFO.

Then somebody said WAC's arn't legal charts, only Sectionals.  I  asked
to be shown the reg. that states that and nobody could find it.

Anybody know what regulation stipulates what charts are required.  The
only thing I could find was in the AIM and it "recommends" WAC's for
medium fast airplanes.

Scott