REFLECTOR:ELT

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 16:12:01 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0120_01C31321.0FCC4680

Re: REFLECTOR:ELTI ran into the "TSO requirements" when doing an upgrade to our Cessna's avionics for IFR.
Turns out TSO is NOT required for radios unless installed in commercial carriers (so my avionics shop told
me).  I don't have the references, but several of the King DME's don't have TSO certifications.

You're right, FAR 91.205 says what instruments are required but says nothing (except for ELT's) about these
instruments being TSO'ed.

Ronnie

----- Original Message -----
From: Jack Sheehan
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:ELT

Ronnie,
Great run down on the ELT requirements. We get into similar discussions about the use of not-certified
equipment such as compasses and electronic displays in our experimental aircraft during IFR flight. Do you
have as good a reference about those kinds of issues. I have always taken the position that 91.205 requires
minimum equipment and since it assumes it is being installed in a certified aircraft the equipment would have
to be TSO.  In an experimental you can use what ever you want so long as you are able to navigate as required.
I suppose you can shoot an ILS with a home made device so long as it works. I am not sure the minimum
equipment even has to be certified but it is hard to get a straight answer.

Jack
N55XL

------=_NextPart_000_0120_01C31321.0FCC4680

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:ELT</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
DL {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
UL {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
OL {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
LI {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I ran into the "TSO requirements" when doing an =
upgrade to our=20
Cessna's avionics for IFR.&nbsp; Turns out TSO is NOT required for =
radios unless=20
installed in commercial carriers (so my avionics shop told me).&nbsp; I =
don't=20
have the references, but several of the&nbsp;King DME's don't =
have&nbsp;TSO=20
certifications.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You're right,&nbsp;FAR 91.205 says what instruments =
are=20
required but says nothing (except for ELT's) about these instruments =
being=20
TSO'ed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dj.f.sheehan@larc.nasa.gov =
href=3D"mailto:j.f.sheehan@larc.nasa.gov">Jack=20
Sheehan</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, May 05, 2003 3:56 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:ELT</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D-1>Ronnie,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D-1>Great run down on the ELT requirements. We get into =
similar=20
discussions about the use of not-certified equipment such as compasses =
and=20
electronic displays in our experimental aircraft during IFR flight. Do =
you have=20
as good a reference about those kinds of issues. I have always taken the =

position that 91.205 requires minimum equipment and since it assumes it =
is being=20
installed in a certified aircraft the equipment would have to be =
TSO.&nbsp; In=20
an experimental you can use what ever you want so long as you are able =
to=20
navigate as required. I suppose you can shoot an ILS with a home made =
device so=20
long as it works. I am not sure the minimum equipment even has to be =
certified=20
but it is hard to get a straight answer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D-1><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D-1>Jack</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D-1>N55XL</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0120_01C31321.0FCC4680--