Epoxy's: was Re: REFLECTOR:STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 10:52:11 -0500

Scott,
I agree west is a great and widespread system, and many boats are built with
it (including one that I built) and that boat would take quite a pounding
with no problems, but the difference here is that the boat is built more
robustly, so possibly there is less stress in the laminates than in our
aircraft- case in point- the canard deflects maybe 2 inches at the tips when
heavily loaded, and no part of my boat ever had to deal with that much
change in shape (stress) so even though in the boats it works fine, possibly
the epoxy needs to be even stronger in the aircraft application.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 7:39 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Epoxy's: was Re: REFLECTOR:STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE

Jeff,

As a side issue regarding epoxy's.

Large and small boats are built all the time with West Systems.

I've been in boats at sea and they take a pounding, as much as any
airplane I've been in if not more.

I realize all epoxy's are not equal but just looking at them from a long
term performance standpoint it would seem West Systems does the job.

So why the viewpoint that it is not acceptable for use.

Scott