REFLECTOR:STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 05 May 2003 07:32:32 -0600

I was told this by Brendan O'Riodan and one of the other mechanics, both
A&P's at the Velocity factory. He said not to use the accelerated
hardener because its strength was compromised, as all the fast cure
systems are.

I've never built an entire airplane so my knowledge of this is limited,
that's why I ask the factory people.  I did build my gear legs(Standard
RG) using West Systems. Brendan said they would be fine, but they may be
  just a bit more flexible.

I also talked with a West Systems customer service rep who "said" he
knew of a couple composite planes built entirely with West Systems. Take
it for what its worth.

As for the pot life of West Systems, they have a whole range of
hardeners to control the cure rate, I think there are 4 different
hardeners too choose from. If your trying to use their fast  hardener in
a big thick lay-up you will have major problems. You need to use the
slower hardeners.

Scott