REFLECTOR:STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 04 May 2003 20:28:19 -0700

At 08:50 PM 5/4/03 -0600, you wrote:
>There are a lot of Velocity's, Cozy's and LongEZ's built with 100% West
>Systems.  The factory A&P's at Velocity say its fine. I was told that its
>not that it is significantly weaker, its just less stiff.
>
>Scott

Scott, I don't know of any moldess airplanes where the parts themselves are
made out of WEST.  Even the slowest WEST would exotherm horribly in a heavy
layup like a sparcap.

That said, the Berkut prototype's winglets were made with and attached with
WEST (I never did feel comfortable with that).  And a couple of Berkuts
have flown with the vast majority of their parts assembled with WEST.  I
wouldn't use it for the gear installations or for assembling the top strake
- there are better gell adhesives our there - but for most other things, yes.

One additional advantage - I don't know anyone that's gotten allergic to
WEST.  I can't say that of any of the other systems.