REFLECTOR:ELT

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 04 May 2003 16:51:28 -0700

At 04:09 PM 5/4/03 -0700, you wrote:

>The ACK unit is probably a good way to go for now, unless you really want
>an ELT that works; in that case you would have to spring $2500 or so for a
>406 MHz unit.  The 121.5/243 MHz units will no longer be monitored after
>early 2009, so by then we'll all have to go to the 406 MHz units.  The
>hope is that the price on them will have dropped by then.

You can get a 406 mhz ELT with a built in 12 channel GPS for about $1300 at
retail - probably less than $1000 wholesale.  http://tinyurl.com/aytf

Since it's made for boating use it doesn't have an inertia switch - but I'd
think you should be able to salvage an inertia switch from a used 121.5
unit for less than $50.  Any thoughts?

BTW, is everyone else getting a first line on the reflector posts that
reads something like

"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word">

Or is it just me?